Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Street Scenes

Even though English is our common language, sometimes street signs can leave me scratching my head in puzzlement.  For instance:

There are no zebras (and that's "zeb-ra" not "zeeb-ra") in the area, humped or otherwise. It just means that there is a bumpy (like our speed bumps) striped pedestrian crossing area marked on the street.  I'm   still figuring out all the zigzag markings.

Then there's:

You most definitely want to take it easy when you are driving and see such a sign.  A vertical post comes rising out of the ground apparently to slow you down.  Hitting one makes for a very bad day indeed.


I had no idea what this sign meant (I hadn't noticed any flies) except that I knew I didn't want to be spied upon by a closed circuit TV.


Fly tipping refers to dumping waste illegally and apparently this area by the river is a popular spot for such activities.  


And lastly, just a bit of English humor.




No comments:

Post a Comment