Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cambridge Botanical Garden

Friday the 16th was a fine day so I decided to walk to Cambridge's Botanical Garden which is about a 50 minute walk from our apartment.  My first impression of the 40 acre garden was that it could use a few more volunteers to clear out the weeds but maybe that bed (the one showing when plants from around the world were introduced to England) wasn't as high priority as some others.  There were areas of huge trees

Thuja plicata

as well as many small gardens including a rock garden built about 50 years ago.


What caught my eye was a sign that said if the garden were constructed today, it would not use  limestone, perhaps because areas with limestone are becoming rare.

One interesting fact I learned is that Cambridge, receiving only about 55 cm of rain every year (at a bit under 22 " that's far less than Ohio's annual precipitation), is one of the driest areas in England.  Who knew any part of the British Isles wasn't soaked to the bone??  This explains why I haven't needed my umbrella more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment